Patent Agent Examination Aspirants
One is eligible for Patent Agent Examination if he or she fulfills the following minimum criteria:
- He or she is a citizen of India.
- He or she has completed the age of 21 years.
- He or she has obtained a degree in science, engineering or technology from any university established under law in the territory of India or possesses any other equivalent qualification as prescribed by the Government of India. All science and technology graduates (B.Sc, M.Sc, B.Tech, M.tech etc.) are eligible to give the exam.
Pattern of Examination and Syllabus:
The Patent Agent Exam is divided into three parts as described below:
- Paper I: 40 objective type questions of one mark each and descriptive type questions of 60 marks.
- Paper II: a set of two questions (different sets for science and engineering) on drafting of 30 marks each consisting of:
- Drafting of specification from given claims and background.
- Drafting of claims from given specification and the rest will be descriptive/interpretative type questions of 40 marks.
- Viva-voce: based on domain knowledge only.
Minimum passing score:
A minimum of 50% in each part described above and overall 60% aggregate.
To prepare for the Patent Agent examination, one may go through
- Bare acts of the Patent Acts and Rules, 1970 published by Universal publishers
- The Indian Patents Act & Rules along with the manual of patent practice published by the Indian Patent Office 2008, 2011.
- Practice past year papers available here.
- PAAI is offering preparatory course for Patent Agent Exam 2014, for details visit our Training section.
Career Guidance for Patent Agents:
Visit our Career Guidance page.